Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Designer Doodles and Poo's? I smell a rat.

It started with the labradoodle. Some acquaintances of mine had me over to their house last Sunday (I invited myself, and they were quite gracious), where I met a wonderful Labradoodle, Gena, and a great dane named Daisy. Both were sweet dogs, but I was informed that the Labradoodle, contrary to popular belief, still sheds.

For those of you who don't know Labradoodle from poo, these are designer dogs, bred from Labrador Retrievers and Poodles, to provide hypo-allergenic or non-shedding medium sized dogs. For those of you who don't know what a great dane is, think of a small horse that you let sleep on the living room rug. The great dane isn't really important to this article, it's just huge.

Designer dogs are a new trend that has taken America by storm. Consider it this generations breed of choice. Labradoodles, cocker-poos, golden-doodles; all these cute and lovable creatures come from a mixture of past loved breeds, and though they are paper traced like pure bred AKC canines, they are mutts. Worse than that, they are mutts the owners paid a lot of money to own. Don't get me wrong. I love mutts. I love them for their sincerity, occasional lack of class, overall health and uniqueness. I also give great credit to the person or people who convinced Americans to pay top dollar for a mutt when they could achieve the same sort of specimen (remember they still shed) by simply walking to their local pound.

Perhaps the word Designer gives these dogs a touch of class that strays or mutts lacks. In truth, the only design involved in their creation is "letting nature take its course." The names that end with doodles and poos lend elegance, brand power and a touch of naughtiness. Wait, I have the next great idea! A Bull-mastiff Shi-Tzu mix and call it Bull-Sh...never mind.

What with the overpopulation of media by advertisements, people buy designer and brand names almost on reflex. An appealing name and a little branding is all you need to launch a successful idea. Luck helps. Who knows what the next wacky idea is the USA might buy into...designer rats that cook French cuisine?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this! But working for a Vet clinic and meeting alot of these dogs (and their humans) makes it more real to me. I would love to see one of those "Bull... Tzu"! ha ha!