Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How Children Learn.

I'm definitely not one of those parents that blare classical music to my internal organs while pregnant. I love classical music. I would love to have a little classical composer, I just don't have the time nor inclination. Lets face it. If Jr. wants to listen to classical, they'll get off their size three months butt, roll over to the radio and flip on Swan Lake.

Don't think I'm too lazy to help my child learn. I am always providing tools and information to that sponge of a brain. Why just this last Sunday, I watched her stop mid play, listen to the one line in a PG movie I didn't want her to hear, and then repeat with correct vehemence and intonation, "Oh, Shit."

I still need to finish watching that movie.

Sometimes the hands-on method works best. Cora has a color problem that is not due to Easter egg dies. She will fetch objects by color. "Get the blue juice." gets me the blue juice. Red socks, gets me red or pink socks. That is not the problem.

The problem is that, after she hands me the blue juice, if I ask her what color it is, she smiles and says "Black."

If children learned by trial and error or observation, she would know the difference. In an attempt to rectify this problem, Cora and I play Duplo, and call out colors of bricks. We've been at this for three days. She will say yellow when placing yellow bricks, red with red and green with green. Her favorite brick is a brown brick whose color she happily pronounces as "chocolate." Wanting to test progress, I wait till she places a brick (yellow) calling out the correct color. I ask her. "What color is that brick?"

She thinks about it. Puts a finger on her lips, stares at the brick. Touches the brick, and grins broadly. "Black."

Perhaps cora has learned two different lessons. First, she knows her colors. Second, she observed a marvelous way to keep Mom playing Duplo.

No comments: