Thursday, July 24, 2008

Doing Yogurt

Cora loves my Yoga mat. The texture of the plastic. The fact that it comes in a convenient and fancy holder that can be carried around makes it easy for her to play with. I do not do yoga at home very often, especially not in the last eight months or so. Coras memory however, is extra-ordinary. She will do her favorite yoga moves on the mat. She likes downward dog, (imagine the bear walk position without doing any bear-walking). She also likes the warrior position. And some of the weirder streaching ones. Her only problem with Yoga is the name.

She thinks that its a yogurt mat. Thats probably because I used to let her eat yogurt on it in the morning in front of the TV. Neoprene plastic is easy to clean yogurt out of. Carpet is not. It was a logical choice on my side of things. Now if only I could convince her that the mat was actually for Yoga not Yogurt.

Actually, yesterday she decided that participation was necessary for the yoga mat to be fun. Either that or she is unilaterally electing herself my personal trainer. Actually a two year old is an excellent personal trainer. They have no concept of tired because they never are, and the seem to think you exist to chase them, and swing them around. Today, she just wanted me to do yoga.

At first she watched. We did the warrior poses. I don't think her feet were quite right, but the rest of her little body was an exact image of mine, six inches away on the same yogurt mat. Then I went into downward dog. She did to... underneath me.

Smiling up at me, she proceeded to crawl back and forth between my hands and feet as I shifted from the dog pose to the plank pose. When i dropped to the ground (hey, I'm not very good at yoga, so yes I dropped), for cobra pose, she decided we should do her puzzle.

Yoga mats aren't very comfortable with giant wood puzzle pieces scattered all over them.

Not to worry, I stood up and did the tree pose, eagle pose and swan? pose on each leg. These poses are great for increasing balance, especially when your personal trainer is pushing and pulling your leg or yoga mat the entire time. After only six minutes of yoga, I had the joy of doing a wooden puzzle.

My personal trainer pulled out the mat this morning. I'm getting smarter though. I handed her a yogurt and turned on the TV.

1 comment:

wendy said...

I read this to your Dad. we laughed! You really should write a book!!!!!!