Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Social Networking

Due to our efforts to locate one of my husbands old college friends, we finally got around to joining the modern world of online social networking. The site, Facebook, provides us access to a relative plethora of information about former classmates, relatives and friends. We get a view of their lives from our living room. I can finally play my younger brother in the generic version of Scrabble, Scrabulous. Oh wait! They took that off the web for trademark infringement or something like that.

You find all sorts of people on facebook. While searching for people with similar last names I ran across my two year olds facebook page. Its been active since she was a few days old.

Perhaps I'm a little behind on the online social networking.

As I added my old school friends and caught up on their lives, I was bolstered by how lucky I was to have five or six people back in my life. I glowed with pride at my list of friends. On the spur of the moment, I clicked on my younger brother Shorty to view his friends. "We must have mutual acquaintances." I thought.

The list popped up for his friends and I was blown away. 232 people are connected into his online social network. Not to be outdone, my daughters page lists at least nine people I don't know. She also gets invitations to join sororities. How often DO they rush two year olds?

I think I'll turn off the computer now and go gossip at the coffee shop. At least there I don't realize how unpopular I am.

No comments: