Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Daddys Birthday

I took the two children to the store this last week to get birthday presents for their father. Nyobi slept through the entire episode. Cora was an active shopper though. First she wanted to get her daddy a beautiful neon blue swimsuit. Unfortunately it was a womans swimsuit in a size four. I think that one of our aunts is a size four.

We put it back.

Then she wanted to get him a cute outfit that would fit her Aunt Chelsea who is eleven. I explained to her that daddy didn't like cute skirts. She said "For me, Mommy." I explained that it was time to think of daddy, not her, and that the outfit wouldn't fit her.

We put it back.

She then chose the most entertaining item she could find; a pool noodle. As she put it in the cart I had images of smashed picture frames, glasses and knocked over food. My tomato plants were suddenly flattened. I put the noodle back and went to the food section of the store.

Cora found the juice that daddy and she both like. She found the snack cakes that she and daddy both like, and she topped it off with some balloons. "Daddy likes." she told me. Tossing them into the cart. "For daddy."

That would be why she took one out of the pack before she wrapped them up. Perhaps Cora is wiser than I am when it comes to birthday shopping. The best gifts are ones you can enjoy together.

Either that or she learned I left things in the cart if she said "For Daddy" rather than "I want". I wouldn't put it past her to make that distinction.

No comments: