Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Nutritious breakfast

This morning I opened the fridge and gazed inside at the blurry fuzzy mess. It was my first challenge of the day, and so far I was not feeling very up to it. Wait! I hadn't had any coffee yet. That explained a lot.

I poured a cup of coffee added a smidgen of creamer, and a teaspoon of sugar. I stared at it for five seconds, then slammed half of it. The contents of the fridge now were distinguishable as separate grocery items. Now maybe I could concoct a nutritious breakfast from the formerly blurry innards. This was indeed a challenge.

Given recent scientific studies, carbohydrates are bad for you. I'm also lactose intolerant, and I"m cooking for a two year old, which means basically everything i make will fail in some way. To compensate, I've been trying to invent new breakfast greats, especially those not labeled "kids breakfast cereal" or "sugar high in a convenient and kid friendly package."

We eat a lot of eggs and fruit.

Today, my fridge could not cough up a yogurt (my daughters favorite entree) to save its life. Its a good thing I"m not in the habit of killing fridges. Instead I found eggs, 2% milk fat cheese (acceptable healthy cheese if consumed in proper serving sizes), and a baked potato. The potato was small enough to provide the right amount of carbs, even though it wasn't the best whole grain variety.

I chopped the potato into home fries, sauteed them in margarine, then cooked the eggs over medium and topped them with half a slice of cheese each. I put the other half of a cheese slice on my daughters potatoes and voila, protein with fat the stayed on the plate, and potatoes. I would consume ultra processed one serving of dairy, with a meal. This is about all my system can tolerate. Then I added some orange drink for my daughter.

Healthy nutritious and delicious, the eggs and fries even looked inviting with their cheery yellow cheese. We sat down to eat.

Cora finished her potatoes, she ate one half of the cheese on the egg, and then she proceeded to dip her fork into the center of the egg and lick off the yolk. Now, the principle behind cooking eggs over anything is to allow the fatty unhealthy yolk a chance to escape being eaten while still consuming the protein filled whites. This fascinating and drippy method of eating egg defeats the entire purpose of my preparation technique.

Having finished her potatoes, the two year old began scarfing them off of moms plate, ergo defeating the low carb diet plan for her, and making mine lower than low carb.

Well, I thought to myself, at least I defeated the sugar deamons of breakfast, as I idly played with the orange drink container. Glancing at the label, I made the mistake of looking at sugar content...

Sometimes as a parent when you fail utterly at a goal you set for yourself, it is best to step back and examine the whole situation. Here, my mission was thwarted by the eating habits of a two year old, but the primary objective HAD been accomplished. I cooked something that Cora would eat, and eat a considerable amount of, that contained natural calories without the bolstered effects of cereal, and that I could modify slightly to make it tasty and edible for me.

This WAS a nutritious breakfast for a two year old. It was not some fast food billion calorie creation, or an artificial concoction of puffed processed grains and added sterile flavorless nutrients.

I win!!!

I bet you're still wondering how much sugar was in the orange drink....
9 grams.
( most kids cereals have 12-15 grams)

Oh! And did you know that egg yolk is what Michaelangelo mixed with pigments to get all that paint to stick to the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? And did you know you can stick all sorts of things to a shirt with the same compound?

No comments: