Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Perfect Guests

After a couple of nights at Nanny's house, my children have been labeled the perfect guests within their age groups. Of course, the fact that they were the only guests under six at the weekend party (happy 85th Gran) probably impacted their behavior. I, too, am enamored with their sterling behavior. My husband was impressed as well. Our gratitude and amazement differs greatly from that expressed by our relatives and other guests.

Yes, it is true that the two year old didn't scream during meals, or at least not in a way you could hear, given the volume control problem our family discussions seem to possess. Its also true that she didn't have any nuclear melt downs, slept fairly well, played nicely most of the time, and ate what was set before her. A lot of this has to do with the efforts that Nanny made to make sure she had child friendly food, the fact that she had pleanty of adults to carry her, fetch for her, or beat on with helium balloons. Actually, Coras melt downs are reserved for instances when Mom is in charge and frazzled by life.

Our infant, Nyobi, is just past the fragile stage. She's not seriously teething yet, and she just started sleeping in longer segments. Her admired behavior was just luck of the age, and the fact that she LOVES being held. She too was passed around from relative to relative out of love rather than necessity. One of the benefits of breast feeding is that she arrives back at Mom every few hours. This behavior did NOT impress my husband and I. What did impress us was her total control of bodily function.

My one brother and his wife are working on starting a family. They complained briefly that its mostly just the "working" part not the actual starting. I wish we had time for the "working" part.

I though, before the weekend, "What a perfect chance for them to learn how to change diapers, and bathe the little suckers." How many of those first panicked days of infant care did I wish I had tried it on someone else's first? In one of those impossible feats of parental thwarting change, Nyobi pooped only three times in two and a half days. this was two less than the amount of yellow gold changes I received on Monday. She did do an impressive job on each of the three occasions. I know. I changed her. My sister in law slept through two. My brother failed to show interest in the workings of that particular end of the baby, and my husband snagged the last one. He doesn't produce food so changing a butt was a good excuse to get to snuggle with his own child.

They WERE the perfect guests. Charming, smiling, and in good moods, they negotiated a mostly adult weekend with tact, fortitude and a little constipation. I actually got a chance to relax, talk and socialize. I only panicked once, when a packed house of adults suddenly did not contain a two year old, and I hadn't seen her leave for a walk (through the poison ivy) with cousin Alex.

The Monday afterwards though...thats a different story.

No comments: