Sunday, November 23, 2008

Vocabulary Growth

Once upon a time I did not notice what words came out of my mouth. Now I sometimes stop mid sentence or change course as to avoid certain catchy phrases and idioms. Sometimes there are mess ups that just stick, regardless of whether they make sense or not. Last week, I told Cora we were going to go out.

She looked up from her coloring book. "Where?" she asked.

"To find a pirate ship. Don't you want to go sailing on a pirate ship, Yarge!" I said.

I didn't think much of it. She didn't think much of it at the time either, because she went back to coloring. The instance passed from my brain.

Then today, after an episode of treasure hunting TV, I again took her "adventuring" with me.

"Good!" She said. "Lets find a pirate ship. Lets do that!"

When we returned from our adventures her dad asked her what she did. "Looked for a pirate ship." she said.

"Did you find one?"

"No." She sat down to take her boots off. "The pirate ship was closed too!"

No comments: