Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thinking Skills and Humane Empathy.

Today during the pre-school learning part of the day Cora and I did a thinking skills sheet. It had rows of four objects, and requested that the child circle the "different" one.

Cora did excellently. She got the hat without stripes and the sock without flowers. The third set, with fish provided a problem. She circled EVERY single fish. When I asked her about it, and pointed out that one of the fish didn't have a pink fin she looked at me like I was crazy. "All different Mommy."

"Why?" I asked.

"Names." She said.

"What are their names?" I asked.

"Bob." she said pointing to the first fish. "Fish" was the second, and "Fish Bob, and Bob Fish" the third and fourth.

Here is an interesting thought. A preschooler pointed out that fish cannot be the same, because like people, they have their own identity. They are living, where as the other objects are not.

Perhaps I am making a big deal out of something very simple, like Cora covering her butt over a wrong answer. However it is a heartening thought to think that at three years old a child has no stereotypes when it comes to living things, even fish, and values them all enough to provide them with unique (Albeit similar) names.

1 comment:

Michiagan Mom said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If only we could all look at things (and fish) that way!!!!