We have an oscillating stand fan that we use in front of the living room windows to help create air flow, and lower the chances of turning on the air conditioner. Its nice, portable and works well. When we brought it upstairs, we noticed Cora eyeing it in the way children eye a new toy they are not sure how to play with.
My instructions to place it somewhere where she could not stand behind it with her long hair puzzled my husband at first. Then when he realized the tragedy I was attempting to avoid, he quickly pushed it back against the window casement. If you have never had long hair, you just don't think about it getting pulled into the fans motor.
Second, in an attempt to demonstrate the danger of fans my husband took a crayon and with Cora in attendance shoved it through the protective grate. In true fan esque fashion, it chopped up one end in a wappity wappity fury. Coras eyes lit up in amazement, and something else.
He went on to explain in a grave voice that fingers could be chopped up in similar abandon. "Do not stick things through the bars!" He finished. She traipsed off to get ready for bed. My husband turned to me, and saw my barely controlled laughter. It broke him down and began to giggle regretfully. "I don't think that lesson went exactly as planned." He finished.
Today I got out of the shower to a wappity wappity noise. Cora came bounding down the hallway a short while later, a stick in hand. "I put this in the fan Mom, did you hear it?" She said excitedly.
"You're not supposed to put things in the fan, Cora. You could break things! Like yourself!" I admonished her, trying to crush the exuberance with a quelling look.
There was a pause, as she turned her eyes away in troubled thought, and then reverted to her usual state of excitement. "I didn't break my stick! So its okay Mommy! Besides, Daddy showed me how to do it safe."
Ah, Daddy, if you only knew HOW poorly that lesson went.