Sunday, September 13, 2009

Small Hero

We have BIG concrete steps down to our patio.  Cora excells at big steps, because she has more legs than anything else.  Nyobi is not so lucky.  Nyobi is an inch taller at 15 months than Cora was at 17 months, but the length is spread evenly, not segregated to her lower extremities.  For Cora, the outside steps are a breeze.  For Nyobi, they are a place to stand, signal and yelp until her well trained and adoring older sister could assist her.

With a practiced face to face firemans lift/hug Cora would lower her sister one step, then step down, and do the final tier.  Nyobi knew just how to lean, just where to reach with her toes, and just when to let go.  You do not need speech for team work.  All you need is love, compassion and a closeness that I always hoped my children would share, and had no idea how to teach.

Of course, when you leave a willow built 32 lb girl to help a 26 lb girl down a flight of cement steps, as a parent you don't wander away.  No, you stay right there, and hover, and worry about little heals and balance, head injuries and broken limbs.  Today I watched the horror of my nightmares played out before my eyes.

I was outside as the pile of small limbs disentangled, and the gasping end to catastrophy burst into wails of anguish.  The wails of anguish sounded pretty awesome to me.  If my children can cry, they are probably not brain damaged so much as banged up a bit.  I blame the family cold for the poor balance, but I was amazed to find out how FEW injuries the girls sustained.

Given the hug hold, Cora fell backwards, and is big and strong enough she never hit her head, just her butt and elbows.  There are some nasty bruises and a small cut on one elbow, but those are her only injuries.  Nyobi, who seems to absorb catastrophes on the left side of her face, came up with a slightly scraped knee and some grubby hands.  Her head was cushioned by her sisters chest and stomach.

That is my small Hero.  Cora took the brunt of the fall and never let go of her sister.  One band aid, and two parents worth of hugs later, we had the girls back in working order and safely down the steps again.  Now I can give up my nightmares of broken limbs, and move on to some other imagined horror of un-safety in my back yard.   

No comments: