Thursday, November 5, 2009

Family Crafts

Today, Cora, Nyobi and I ate the experimental low lactose pumpkin pie and began our useful thanksgiving project.  I drew out designs on poster board for turkey napkin and place card holders.  Once the girls finished their pie, I cut out the templates on one sheet for cora to paint.  The other sheet I left assembled.  One and a half year olds eat little pieces of paper, they do not paint them. 

Getting out the water colors, Cora immediately started covering one turkey in purple.  I dipped Nyobis brush and began helping her paint yellow on the paper.  Anya began to cry.  "No problem."  I thought.  "I only need one hand to help Nyobi paint." 

Retrieving the crabbing infant, I returned to find Nyobi munching on the paint brush.  "Yum"  she said.  We dipped again, in the orange paint and began brushing.  Both girls glowed with excitement, and Anya scrunched and squeaked in her usual awake gestures.  She seemed to be having fun too. 

Once again thwarting Nyobis attempt to eat the watercolors rather than paint with them, I leaned over to dip the brush in red.  As I straightened up, Anya made a squirting noise that could only mean one thing; diaper change time.  Then she made another.  To my horror I watched bright yellow brown poop slide out the side of her diaper and plop down on my shirt and the poster board. 

I laughed, as Cora scrunched up her nose and said "gross!"  Carefully cradling the baby as to not squish out any more "yellow gold"  I went to the nursery to change Anya.  I guess she just wanted to contribute to our craft project morning.  By the time I returned to the kitchen, I discovered she had also contributed to Nyobis color palate and diet.  The toddler was smearing around then poop stain, and munching on the paint brush. 

We did accomplish something.  We made one dark purple turkey placecard and napkin holder.  We could use the other ten, but family who attend Thanksgiving read this blog.  Good thing I have one sheet of posterboard left.

1 comment:

michigan mom said...

Hey! I don't really think that I need a placecard honey! HA HA